Sunday, February 27, 2011
Friday, February 25, 2011
OK, so in my last post I mentioned that it is all our own responsible to make our own workplace fun. I am re-reading a fabulous Jon Gordon book called The Energy Bus. One of the points he makes in the book is that more people die Monday morning at 9:00 than any other day or time because people would rather die than go to work. OK, so I wasn't this bad and I am sure that you're not either, but what can we do to make work fun? Usually the best things are the most simple. Here's a few that anyone can do.
- Start with a smile. In fact start with a smile campaign. Post smilies all over and see how people react.
- Who doesn't love food? Host a potluck or a themed event like build a taco or spaghetti day and see how creative people can be. My husband decided to have fun at work today by bringing in an enormous pot of sausage and peppers. He is going to be a hero AND he is going to have a fun day.
- If you don't have a strict dress code then have a fun t-shirt (no profanity) contest or have everyone wear red Tuesday.
- Pick a commonly used word and try to ban it. Give everyone 3 poker chips that you have to give up to the person who catches you using the banned word. The person at the end of the day with the most chips wins.
- Play off of a holiday or event. St. Patty's is next. Pass out shamrocks and have everyone decorate them.
- Do you have pictures of your co-workers? Jibjab.com takes their photos and makes funny videos. It's easy and will get everyone roaring. Make sure to include yourself in the video so your co-workers don't feel that you were out to get them.
Are you worried about what your boss will think? None of the above suggestions should cause any harm. Here' my philosophy on initiating anything new; always ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Who can dispute positive results?
Wednesday, February 23, 2011
Recently I changed positions at work and I found that I had a real difficult time adjusting. I went from being in the field to being split between field time and office time and I was not enjoying it. In fact, although this was a move in the right direction for me, I felt like someone had let the air out of my tires. Instead of waking up on Monday mornings energized and looking forward to the people I would be interacting with I woke up dreading the day and the solitude.
What do you do to have fun at work?
Friday, February 18, 2011
Hey Michigan! Get out and run! We don't get too many February mornings that are near 50 degrees. It is perfect running weather. Not too hot and not too cold. Perfect for shorts and a cold gear top. If you have fallen off off your New Year's resolutions already it is a great time to get back on track. Stop looking for a reason not to and start looking for reasons to get up and do it. I'll help. Here's a few:
1) When you start your day doing something good for yourself the good feelings last all day long
2) When you run into that girl you never liked in college or an ex you don't want to say "I wish I started running a month ago"
3) The early morning sky is beautiful, especially now with the full moon.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
3 lbs ground turkey
1 onion - diced
3 cloves garlic – minced
1 bunch cilantro - chopped
1 orange pepper – julienned and cut into 2" pieces
2 large cans whole tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
2 large cans kidney beans – rinsed
2 small cans butter beans – rinsed
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs Chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Heat the olive oil in a huge sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook for approx. 5 minutes. Add orange pepper and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the turkey, cilantro and all of the seasonings and cook until the turkey is browned. Add the tomatoes, sauce and beans and 2-3 cans of water (if you have time to cook for more than 60 minutes then add the full 3 cans of water). Break apart the tomatoes using a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer and then lower the heat to low. Simmer for 60 minutes.
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Friday, February 4, 2011
How to help yourself from making a mistake. Make a magic wand list. If you had a magic wand and could make the perfect person for the job appear what would that look like? What characteristics would they have? Take your time in the interview process and look for the candidate who has them all. Be patient and do not settle. You will find that perfect person. They are out there. What I have found is that when I go against my gut not only does it take longer than I'd like to reverse the situation. Enduring the wrong fit is excruciatingly painful. It is much better to go with your gut and turn down an OK candidate then to have to go through fixing the problem later.
Here is what HBR has to say about hiring for attitude (click the link)
Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Do you want to stick to your New Year's resolutions and still enjoy the Super Bowl? Here are two healthy dips recipes to enjoy with one easy chip.
1 can chick peas - drained2 Tbs. Tahini1/4 C olive oiljuice from 1 lemon2 garlic clovessalt pepperdash of cayenne
Add all to a food processor and blend. Serve with pita chips (recipe below)
Try these variations
1) add red pepper flakes
2) add 1 roasted red pepper
Baba ganoush dip
1 large eggplant
2 Tbs Tahini
1/4 C olive oil
Juice from 2 lemons
2 cloves garlic
Trim the top off of the eggplant and cut in half. Place on a cookie sheet, cut side down, and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes – 1 hour or place on grill for 30-45 minutes. You want to char the skin. Cool completely. (throw in the snow to cool ) Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend. Serve with pita chips (recipe below).
1 bag fresh pita chips
2-4 Tbs Olive Oil
Cut each piece of pita bread into 8-12 triangles. Place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with EVOO, salt and garlic powder. Flip and repeat. Bake at 400 degrees for about 7 minutes. Flip and bake another 7 minutes. Do not remove chips until they are crispy. Cool. Eat 'em up. Eat 'em up. Rah rah rah!
Hydrate Nutrate ...
Recently I changed positions at work and I found that I had a real difficult time adjusting. I went from being in the field to being split...
Happy Valentine's Day!!! We had our celebration a day early and while grocery shopping I came across frozen Lobster Claws. I bought th...
I'm going to let you in on a secret. Depending on the circumstances of us meeting, if we've met, there will be two dramatically ...